What is varicose eczema?
Varicose eczema (also known as venous, statis or gravitational eczema) is a type of dermatitis on the lower legs, which can develop when the veins’ valves aren’t working properly, leading to congestion, inflammation and ultimately damage to the skin.
Varicose eczema can be very itchy and sore, with the skin of the legs getting dry, scaly, crusty, inflamed and swollen.
What can you do about it?
Alongside other measures to control venous eczema - weight management, elevating the lower legs, compression stockings, etc. - it’s important to look after the affected skin with effective, non-irritant emollients. Eczema can start to develop on other parts of the body alongside varicose eczema, so good all-over skin health is really important. Keep your skin well moisturised at all times!
Obviously we would recommend using Balmonds for varicose eczema, but why are our natural emollients so perfect for the job? Let’s take a closer look.
Why use Skin Salvation on varicose eczema?
- stays on longer than emollient creams or oils
- doesn’t sting on application even on weeping or broken skin
- better than creams at keeping moisture locked into the skin
- provides protection to thin or easily damaged skin
- contains beeswax which allows the skin to breathe (unlike paraffin-based ointments) provides nutrients (EFAs, vitamins, antioxidants) to support the skin’s cycle of regeneration and repair
- is free from irritants such as perfumes, preservatives, parabens and other artificial additives which can cause further damage to fragile skin
- can soothe the itch by providing a barrier against external irritants
- contains ingredients such beeswax and plant-based oils which reduce microbial growth, protecting against the infections which varicose eczema sufferers are prone to
If your lower legs have patches of very dry, scaly but unbroken skin, try Balmonds Cooling Cream as well or instead of Skin Salvation. This is a great lotion for covering the whole lower leg, and was formulated to soothe itching, calm inflammation and moisturise dry skin.
Why Use Balmonds Cooling Cream on Varicose Eczema?
- easier, quicker application over wider areas
- isn’t as greasy as oils or ointments
- good moisturiser for unbroken skin
- has a cooling effect which takes the heat and itchiness out of hot, red, itchy skin
- contains menthol, shea butter, aloe vera and lavender essential oil to reduce inflammation
Top Tips: how to apply emollients on varicose eczema:
- use a large amount all over both lower legs, not just flared areas
- apply at least twice a day, and more frequently if skin is very dry
- don't rub; smooth emollients into the skin in the same direction that the hair grows
- apply after bathing, gently dry the skin, then immediately apply the emollient while the skin is still moist
Balmonds Cooling Cream
with shea, menthol, aloe vera & lavender
If you require medical advice we recommend you always contact your healthcare professional.
If you or someone you are caring for seems very unwell, is getting worse or you think there's something seriously wrong, call for emergency services straight away. For general medical advice, please contact your healthcare professional, this article does not contain or replace medical advice.
Do not delay getting help if you're worried. Trust your instincts.